This wiki is associated with Cognito Mentoring, an advising service for learners run by Jonah Sinick and Vipul Naik. The wiki is very much in beta, so you're likely to find many broken links and incomplete pages. Please be patient with us as we continue to improve our offerings.
Please connect with us to offer feedback on the wiki content.
Academia learning resources
This page lists some resources you can use to learn about academia. We don't have strong views on what the best sources are.
Books and online articles with general advice on academia
Books on excelling within academia, starting with graduate school
- Grad Skool Rulz, online articles plus an ebook based on those by Fabio Rojas, professor of sociology at Indiana University.
- A Guide to Academia: Getting into and Surviving Grad School, Postdocs and a Research Job by Prosanta Chakrabarty
Books on leaving academia
Further information: leaving academia after graduate school
- "So What Are You Going to Do with That?": Finding Careers Outside Academia by Susan Basalla
- Moving On: Essays on the Aftermath of Leaving Academia by Kathleen Miller (Editor), Julie Chmiel (Editor), Lauren Whitehead (Editor), Jet (Editor)
- Academia Stack Exchange: This is a great place to ask, and search for previously asked, specific questions about academia, ranging from conventions for formatting dissertations to preparing articles for publication to protocols for collaborative research to switching majors.
- Quora has a lot of general information about academia. Highly technical questions are not that well-suited for Quora. However, the answers tend to have more details about people's personal experiences. You can look inside the academia topic within Quora, but not all relevant questions are categorized under that topic.
- If your questions are about the conventions for a specific academic discipline, check out Quora or the Stack Exchange website for that specific discipline.