This wiki is associated with Cognito Mentoring, an advising service for learners run by Jonah Sinick and Vipul Naik. The wiki is very much in beta, so you're likely to find many broken links and incomplete pages. Please be patient with us as we continue to improve our offerings.
Please connect with us to offer feedback on the wiki content.
Career selection: factors to consider
Career choice can have a very large impact on your quality of life. This page lists some dimensions along which different careers can vary.
- Career preparation cost -- How much time, money, and effort is needed to prepare for the career?
- Job security -- How likely is it that you will need to leave a particular job, and/or leave the career as a whole?
- Exit flexibility -- How easy is it for you to switch away from the career?
- Job location options -- What options for location will you have, and how much flexibility will you have in selecting the location?
- Job satisfaction — How much will you enjoy your work?
- Earnings — How much money will you earn, after adjusting for things like cost of schooling, taxes, and retirement benefits?
- Work-life balance — How much time and flexibility will your job leave you to pursue other activities?
- Social value of work — How much will society benefit from your work?
Each of these can have a large impact on your quality of life.
We offer thoughts on preparing for the work world under Preparing for a career during high school and college.