This wiki is associated with Cognito Mentoring, an advising service for learners run by Jonah Sinick and Vipul Naik. The wiki is very much in beta, so you're likely to find many broken links and incomplete pages. Please be patient with us as we continue to improve our offerings.
Please connect with us to offer feedback on the wiki content.
High school portal
This is a portal page describing relevant content for high school students on our site and elsewhere. By high school, we mean grades 9-12 of school, also known as secondary school in some countries. In some educational systems, high school is defined as grades 10-12.
High school is the last leg of relatively regimented and mandatory education. Beyond this point, you have a wider array of educational choices. But good planning and foresight in high school can be important to availing of some of these choices.
- 1 Getting started
- 2 High school academics and testing
- 3 High school extracurricular activities
- 4 College selection
- 5 College applications and admissions
- 6 Your web presence
- 7 Start thinking about careers
- 8 Productivity
- 9 Unusual options
- High school: opening message is a good starting point. It's particularly useful for people in the early parts of high school, but it can also be helpful to people who have a few months to go.
High school academics and testing
- High school coursework: A broad overview of high school coursework. See also college statements on the importance of grades and coursework, and good study habits.
- High school mathematics: A broad overview of the high school mathematics curriculum and different tracks available within the curriculum. See also high school mathematics learning recommendations.
- Standardized tests
- PENDING: Taking Advanced Placement courses
High school extracurricular activities
- High school extracurricular activities: factors to consider
- High school extracurricular activities: suggestions
- College selection: factors to consider
- College selection: getting reliable information about colleges
- College selection: deciding based on your intended major
College applications and admissions
We're still working on this, but of particular interest may be college admissions for homeschooled students.
Your web presence
High school is a good time to start becoming aware of your online presence and making sure that it is an asset rather than a liability. Some relevant pages are linked below:
Start thinking about careers
You've got a long time to think about careers, but it's good to get a head start in exploring different careers by reading up about them and observing them in action. See our pages:
- Career selection: factors to consider
- The career options category lists pages discussing various career options.