This wiki is associated with Cognito Mentoring, an advising service for learners run by Jonah Sinick and Vipul Naik. The wiki is very much in beta, so you're likely to find many broken links and incomplete pages. Please be patient with us as we continue to improve our offerings.
Please connect with us to offer feedback on the wiki content.
This is a portal page linking to various pages related to college life. There is some overlap between the pages here and those in the high school portal.
- 1 College selection
- 2 College applications and admissions
- 3 Between high school and college
- 4 College academics
- 5 Navigating college
- 6 Career planning
- 7 Productivity
- 8 Your web presence
- College: deciding whether to go
- College selection: factors to consider
- College selection: getting reliable information about colleges
- College selection: deciding based on your intended major
- Public university versus private university
- Pros and cons of attending a large college
College applications and admissions
We're still working on this, but of particular interest may be college admissions for homeschooled students.
We also encourage people interested in learning more about college admissions to check out College Confidential, one of the best sources of information on the subject. Other potential sources of information are Quora, About.com, and StudentAdvisor.
Between high school and college
See time between the end of high school and the beginning of college (partially done).
Choice of major
- Choosing a college major: factors to consider
- See the college majors category for links to pages about different college majors.
- Quora answers about college majors gives a useful collection of links to Quora answers about a wide range of college majors.
Course structure and learning recommendations
- Lower division undergraduate mathematics: See also lower division undergraduate mathematics course structure and lower division undergraduate mathematics learning recommendations
- Upper division undergraduate mathematics: See also upper division undergraduate mathematics course structure and upper division undergraduate mathematics learning recommendations
- Course selection
- FORTHCOMING: Understanding and optimizing for the credit, placement, and enrollment structure
- FORTHCOMING: Study abroad programs
You've got a long time to think about careers, but it's good to get a head start in exploring different careers by reading up about them and observing them in action. See our pages:
- Preparing for a career during high school and college
- Career selection: factors to consider
- The career options category lists pages discussing various career options.
Your web presence
These pages are relevant for everybody, but particularly for high school and college students who are just beginning to build a web presence: