Career choice can have a very large impact on your quality of life. This page lists some dimensions along which different careers can vary.
- Career preparation cost -- How much time, money, and effort is needed to prepare for the career?
- Job security -- How likely is it that you will need to leave a particular job, and/or leave the career as a whole?
- Exit flexibility -- How easy is it for you to switch away from the career?
- Job location options -- What options for location will you have, and how much flexibility will you have in selecting the location?
- Job satisfaction — How much will you enjoy your work?
- Earnings — How much money will you earn, after adjusting for things like cost of schooling, taxes, and retirement benefits?
- Work-life balance — How much time and flexibility will your job leave you to pursue other activities?
- Social value of work — How much will society benefit from your work?
Each of these can have a large impact on your quality of life.
We offer thoughts on preparing for the work world under Preparing for a career during high school and college.